Chicken, Kale and Mushroom Pot Pie
Published on Saturday, April 27, 2019 | Category: Recipes
A completely satisfying and delectable comfort food, this delicious chicken pot pie makes for a great family dinner and is sure to be a firm favourite among the many chicken recipes in Sri Lanka.
● 350g chicken breasts, diced into small chunks
● 250g mushrooms of your choice, sliced
● 100g kale
● 300ml chicken stock
● 100g sour cream
● 375g pack of puff pastry rolled into a circle and slightly bigger than your pie dish
● 2 tsp cornflour, mixed in 1 tbsp of cold water
● 1 large onion, finely chopped
● 2 cloves of garlic, crushed or minced
● 3 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
● 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
● 1 tbsp olive oil
● 1 egg yolk, to glaze
– First, start off by heating 1/2 tbsp of olive oil in a flame-proof casserole dish over gentle heat.
– Next, add the chopped onion and cook for about five minutes until it softens. Add in the crushed garlic
cloves and thyme and stir for a minute.
– Turn up the heat and add the chicken, frying it until golden but not fully cooked. Add the sliced mushrooms and the remaining olive oil and stir well.
– Meanwhile, heat the oven to 200C/180 fan/gas 6.
– After that, add the chicken stock, sour cream, kale and mustard to the casserole dish and make sure to season well, according to your taste.
– Now, pour in the cornflour mixture and stir well until everything is well combined and the mixture thickens slightly.
– Remove the dish from the heat and cover the top with the rolled out puff pastry, pressing into the sides of the casserole dish gently.
– Slice a cross in the center of the pie and then glaze the pastry with the beaten egg yolk.
– Bake for about 30 minutes until the pastry has puffed up well and is golden on the top.
– Serve while still hot.