Devilled Chicken Drumsticks Recipes in Sri Lanka
Published on Monday, February 4, 2019 | Category: Recipes
When it comes to Sri Lankan chicken recipes, devilled chicken always reigns supreme. And if there is one thing Sri Lankan food recipes incorporate more often, it’s juicy chicken drumsticks. Chicken drumsticks are great value for money and the taste is unsurpassed. In this recipe, we combine our love for devilled chicken recipe in Sri Lanka and drumsticks to make a dish that is tender, juicy and sweet and spicy – a real treat of a taste.
Prep time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
8 large chicken drumsticks
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 fresh green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp ground ginger
3 tbsp honey
3 tbsp brown sugar
4 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp mustard
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
● Begin by removing the skin from the chicken drumsticks, if you prefer. Make two or three deep slashes in the fleshy part of each drumstick with a sharp knife and then place in a bowl and set aside.
● In a small bowl or jug, mix together all the other ingredients and then pour this sauce over the chicken drumsticks and turn the pieces over with your hands, making sure to coat the inside of the slashes and every piece evenly. Cover the bowl and marinate in the fridge for at least an hour or overnight for better results.
● Next, preheat the oven to 200°C (gas 6). Then, place the marinated chicken drumsticks in a lightly oiled pan or roasting tin, that is preferably nonstick, and cover the drumsticks loosely with foil. Bake for about 15 minutes.
● Remove from the oven and peel back the foil to baste the chicken pieces with the marinade juice. Return the chicken to the oven with the foil uncovered this time for a further 15 minutes or until the drumsticks are sizzling and cooked right through. The juices should run clear when the flesh of the chicken is pierced with a skewer.
● Serve hot or keep chilled until ready to pack up cold for a picnic or lunchbox.