Kolhapuri Chicken Curry
Published on Saturday, October 5, 2019 | Category: Recipes
Known for its spiciness and full-bodied flavour, this super tasty chicken curry gets its unique flavour thanks to the special Kolhapuri masala that uses bold flavours of peanut oil, bay leaf, black pepper, and cloves as well as fresh ground spices and grated coconut. A perfect accompaniment with steamed rice or warm roti, this chicken curry is a breeze to prepare and an exquisite treat for your tastebuds.
Total Cook Time: 40 minutes
For the Marination:
- 1kg chicken, cut into chunks
- 2/3 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chilli
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Salt to taste
For the Kolhapur masala:
- 2 tsp corn or peanut oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, crushed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tsp coconut, grated
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp coriander leaves
- Prepare the marination by mixing together turmeric powder, red chillies, garlic paste, salt, and lime juice with curd. Add the chicken chunks to this marinade, coat well and leave aside for half an hour.
- To make the Kolhapur masala, heat oil in a pan and add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, crushed black pepper and chopped onions. Saute until onions turn translucent.
- To this add grated coconut and saute until the coconut color changes.
- Then, add the tomatoes and cook for about 10 minutes. Cool this mixture and then pure the mixture in a blender.
- In another large pan, heat oil and the marinated chicken, cooking for 25 minutes on low fire while stirring regularly.
- Then, add the tomato puree and allow to simmer on low flame for a further 5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or roti of choice.