How to Cook a Chicken Curry – Sri Lankan style!
Published on Monday, September 17, 2018 | Category: Chicken Recipes in Sri Lanka
Sri Lankan food recipes are always a touch above the rest given that we Lankans really love our food to burst with flavour and spice. And let’s face it – who doesn’t love chicken? From crispy fried chicken to barbecued deliciousness, chicken tastes good regardless of how it’s prepared. But if you haven’t tried the classic Sri Lankan chicken curry, you don’t know what you’re missing!
As far as the nutritional benefits are concerned, chicken is a great source of minerals, vitamins and it very rich in protein. It also has fewer fats when compared to other meat varieties such as beef or mutton. Because of this, chicken is a good source for weight loss and helps balance blood pressure, lessen the risk of cancer and reduce the risk of cholesterol.
While there are a wide array of Sri Lankan chicken curry recipes out there, this particular chicken curry dish is special in its own right. Tendy, juicy, aromatic and literally exploding with flavour, this tantalizing curry will take you to culinary heaven! Here’s how you can prepare it yourself:
- 500g chicken parts
- 250ml coconut milk
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 8 cloves of garlic
- A generous piece of ginger
- 15 red chilies
- One sprig of curry leaves
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¾ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- 4 cardamoms
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- One small stick of cinnamon
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- Cooking oil
- Salt to taste
Portion the chicken and wash it well.
- Add salt and turmeric powder, mix it well onto the chicken and let it marinate for 15 minutes.
- In a pan over medium heat, dry roast the following ingredients – red chilies coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, curry leaves, black pepper, cinnamon and cardamom. Stir it frequently for about three minutes.
- Take this dry roasted mixture and grind it finely.
- Grind the ginger and garlic until it becomes a fine paste and set aside.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. Allow it to splutter.
- To this, add the onion and saute is until it turns golden in colour.
- Add the ginger and garlic paste to this and cook it for 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Now, add the marinated chicken pieces to this and mix thoroughly.
- Place the lid and cook it under high flame for about five minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir for a few more minutes under medium heat until the chicken it well cooked.
- After the chicken pieces turn into light brown, add the spices and the coconut milk.
- Stir everything and cook it covered for about six minutes under low flame.
- Give it a taste and add more salt if required.
- Serve it with rice.