The best chicken recipes in Sri Lanka are the ones that don’t take that much time to prepare and this recipe falls exactly into the category of no-fuss cooking with great taste. This caramel chicken recipe is an amazing 30 minute meal that you won’t be able to get enough of. Glazed with an irresistible sweet and tangy sauce, this scrumptious chicken recipe is a remarkably simple one skillet meal that the entire family will love!
4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
8 garlic cloves peeled
⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
¼ cup rice vinegar
½ cup water
2 (1/4 inch) thick slices of peeled ginger
1 cup chicken broth
¼ cup soy sauce
2 scallions thinly sliced for garnish
Salt and pepper to taste
In a large skillet or heavy bottomed saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- In another bowl, season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and cook them in the skillet until golden brown, crisp and cooked through on each side. When done, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add in the cloves of garlic and saute until golden brown, for about two minutes. Transfer the garlic cloves to the plate of chicken.
- Return the pot to medium high heat and carefully add in the ¼ cup of water, scraping down the brown bits and deglazing the skillet.
- Next, whisk the brown sugar until fully dissolved. Then cook until the mixture turns a deep amber color, for about four minutes.
- Carefully pour in the vinegar and stir well.
- Then, add in the ginger, garlic, soy sauce and chicken broth and bring the liquid to a boil, stirring occasionally. The sauce will take about ten minutes to thicken.
- Once, the glaze is ready, turn down the heat to medium low and add the cooked chicken to the sauce. Make sure the sauce glazes the chicken completely. Keep over the flame until cooked though.
- Garnish with scallions or green onions and serve hot with rice.
This recipe serves four and the original recipe calls for 2½ pounds bone-in chicken legs and thighs. If you want to do this, you will need to increase the cooking time of the legs and thighs in the sauce to about 20-25 minutes to make sure they are cooked through.
The garlic and ginger used in this recipe are used to add flavor and not to eat. If you prefer ginger and garlic to be added to the sauce, opt for minced or chopped ginger and garlic.
The sauce in this recipe is just enough to glaze the chicken and some rice. If you want more sauce to glaze the chicken and rice, double the ingredients for the sauce.