Crispy and Crunchy Korean Fried Chicken
Published on Saturday, May 9, 2020 | Category: Recipes
When it comes to delicious fried chicken, nothing beats the Korean variant, though there are plenty of mouthwatering Sri Lankan chicken recipes that are very much neck to neck with Korean chicken recipes.
If you love spicy and crispy fried chicken with a hint of tangy, sticky sweetness, you will love this dish. Serve this incredibly succulent fried chicken dish with any pickle of your choice in any dinner party and it’s guaranteed to get rave remarks.
– 3½ pounds chicken wings, washed and drained
– ½ tsp kosher salt
– ½ tsp ground black pepper
– 1 tsp minced ginger
– 2/3 cup potato starch or cornstarch
– 4 cloves of garlic, minced
– ¼ cup soy sauce
– ½ cup rice syrup or corn syrup
– 1 tbsp white vinegar
– 1 tbsp brown sugar
– 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
– Grapeseed oil (or vegetable oil, peanut oil)
– ⅓ cup peanuts (optional)
– 1 tbsp mustard (optional)
-3-4 large dried red chili peppers, deseeded and cut crosswise into ⅓ inch pieces (optional)
– Start by cutting off the top of each wing and then chop the wing in half. Once done, you should have about 24- 26 pieces.
– Next, place the chicken pieces in a bowl and add salt, ground black pepper and ginger and mix well by hand.
– In a separate bowl, add the potato starch. Dip each wing in the powder to coat. Squeeze each chicken to ensure that the coating sticks to the chicken pieces well.
To make the sweet, spicy sauce
– Heat a large wok or non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Then, add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil, minced garlic and the dried red chili peppers. Mix well with a wooden spoon for about half a minute until it becomes fragrant.
– To this, add soy sauce, vinegar, rice syrup and mustard sauce. Stir and allow it to bubble for a few minutes.
– Add the brown sugar and continue to stir. Once done, remove from heat and set aside.
To fry the chicken
– In a frying pan or large pot, add 4 cups of cooking oil and heat it on high for about 7-8 minutes.
– Check to see if the oil is hot enough by dipping a wing into it. If the oil bubbles, it’s hot enough to start frying.
– Carefully slide the coated chicken wings, one by one, into the hot oil and fry for about 12-13 minutes, making sure to turn the pieces for a few times with tongs.
– Once done, remove the wings from the oil and allow the excess oil to drain off. Allow the chicken pieces to rest for a few minutes.
– Next, reheat the oil and fry the chicken wings again for another 12-15 minutes until the pieces turn a nice golden brown and feel crunchy through the tongs.
To coat the fried chicken wings with the sweet and spicy sauce
– Reheat the prepared sauce again until it bubbles.
– Then, add the hot, fried chicken pieces and mix well with a wooden spoon to coat well.
– Remove from the heat and transfer the coated chicken wings to a large platter. Sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on top.
– Serve with any dipping sauce and pickle of choice.